Re: empty seats / Lemming City / liberal populism

Mark parashakti108 at yahoo.com
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:21:28 -0000

--"denis bider" wrote:
>D: I think Ronaldo has a point here. If the empty-seats voting
system leads to gridlock, the gridlock is actually the desired thing.
If there is gridlock(too many empty seats to make a decision), this
is a result of too many voters not liking any of the candidates on
offer, and thus most likely not to agree with any of the decisions
that they might make. In such a situation, should the will of those
who do like some of the candidates be imposed upon everyone else who
doesn't like them? This is what the current system does. The gridlock
you mention is actually the central feature of the empty seats idea:
preventing a minority from imposing their will upon the rest.

-M: What is wrong with a minority imposing its will if the minority
is right? Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" to free the slaves
was not a populist document. If a majority of voters want slavery,
they can STUFF IT!

>D: I think that would be a good thing. Efficiency is not always the
best path. As Ronaldo already pointed out, things were "efficient"
(decisions were reached quickly) under Hitler and Mussolini.

-M: We are comparing his system with mine. My system is more
efficient and more legitimate.

>D: The empty seats philosophy basically states that efficiency is
only desired if backed by a reasonable majority, but otherwise not.
That's the core argument of the idea.

-M: Majority? When is the populist trip going to stop? Populism gives
us Bushmonkeys! "Maybe the USA should become a Christian theocracy -
Christians are the majority."

-M: I see an ideology of *liberal-populism* floating around.

-Populism - rule by majority
-Liberalism - ideology for liberating from oppression

-M: What if one wants liberation from *tyrany of the majority*?

-M: People, POPULISM DOESN'T LIBERATE! Liberal-populism is a
contradiction. There is no rocket-science here. Populism is rule by
Joe Sixpack. Joe Sixpack is not a liberator.

-Shanti
-Mark, Seattle WA USA