Re: SD2 vs. Condorcet: Synthesis / post-SD2

Mark parashakti108 at yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:05:44 -0000

--"denis bider" wrote:
> > -M: Denis, I like your approach - you are proposing competing
algorithms.

>D: I pondered about this yesterday, and I think what I stated was a
false dillemma. I proposed the two approaches (Condorcet and
PageRank) as mutually exclusive, when they aren't. The problem is,
who frames the choices for the Condorcet method? And who determines
there is a problem to be decided upon, at all? I now think a core
group of leaders could be elected with an SD2-like approach, and the
job of this core groups of leaders would be to manage mundane tasks
and identify major problems when/if they appear. When a major issue
appears which exceeds the mundane, the core group of leaders would be
responsible for framing the problem, and people would be asked to
elect, with an SD2-like approach, a task force of experts most
suitable to solve it.

-M: If the executive allowed for this approach, this would be SD2
complient.

>D: If the experts were fairly unanimous in what a solution should
be, that solution would be implemented. Otherwise, if there was
disagreement among the experts, they would be responsible for framing
competing solutions in the form of A, B, C, D. The people would then
decide, according to the Condorcet method, which of the competing
solutions yields the highest satisfaction. When the decision is made,
the task force of experts would be dissolved. Possibly another task
force of executives would be elected to implement the solution, and
another task force to supervise the implementation; etc. Sounds like
a lot of decision-making, but that's good. Things function better
when there's more input and more people give it some thought. With
proper technological execution, such active participation in voting
could become routine. People could become used to doing it as part of
their daily routine every morning.

-M: This sounds post-SD2. This is a problem solving method that SD2
selected directors could impliment if they chose. If I was one of the
directors, I don't like the idea of allocating the decision to the
people because of the lack of accountablility. If the people are
wrong then: "So, 51%+ of everyone else was wrong too." Everyone gets
to hide in the crowd. The ego gets an easy way out.

-Shanti
-Mark, Seattle WA USA