Become a member of the Midwest Democracy Center

John Paul Schmit johnpauls at operamail.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:26:39 -0500

Hello everyone,
I am emailing you today to encourage you all to become members of the Midwest Democracy Center, so that we can be better able to purse cumulative voting, instant runoff voting and all of the other projects of the center. If you have recently recieved a letter from us asking you to become a member, please do so. If not I have pasted a letter below with a membership form at the bottom. Please print out the member from and send it to the address on your form.

Thank you for your support.

John Paul

---------
Dear Advocate of Better Democracy,

The Midwest Democracy Center is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy organization dedicated to improving elections in Illinois and throughout the Midwest. We are working to ensure that the will of the people of Illinois is reflected in our elected representatives by promoting reforms such as cumulative voting rights, instant runoff voting and same day voter registration. We need your financial support by joining the organization to continue to work towards this vital goal.

Illinois elections can do a better job of reflecting the will of the voters. Prior to 1980, Illinois used cumulative voting to elect the state House of Representatives. Three representatives were elected from each district, and each voter got three votes to distribute among the candidates as he or she wished. With cumulative voting rights, Republicans were regularly elected from Chicago and Democrats were elected from the suburbs and rural areas. Almost every district had bipartisan representation, so every voice was heard. As a result, the major parties had to take into account the needs of the entire state, not just certain areas. We are working to bring back cumulative voting so that everyone can be represented in Springfield.

Recently the voters of San Francisco improved the way they elect their mayor and local government by adopting Instant Runoff Voting (IRV). Voters rank the candidates – ‘1’ to their first choice, ‘2’ so the second, and so on. If no candidate wins an outright majority of the first-choices, the ballots are counted again and an instant runoff” is held between the top two candidates. Every other candidate is eliminated and the second-choices on those ballots are added onto the first-choices of the surviving candidates – just like a runoff election. This eliminates the so-called “wasted votes problem” than can occur when many candidates split the vote and saves cities and taxpayers the expense of holding two elections. We are working to allow cities in Illinois to adopt instant runoff voting with a booth at the Illinois Municipal League’s annual convention. Mary Schumann is also mailing and calling municipal officials all over the state and pitching them directly on using instant runoff voting.

We also are working to protect the rights of military and overseas voters by promoting the use of IRV. Currently these voters often miss voting in municipal elections because the time between the February primary and April general election is too short for a general election ballot to be sent overseas and returned. We are working to allow military and overseas voters to send back two ballots – one regular ballot for the February election and one instant runoff ballot where the voter ranks all the candidates and sends them both back before the February election. There are several bills on the topic introduced that we wrote (HB 395 and HB 4141), and we are testifying before the State Board of Elections at their September meeting. Louisiana already provides this service and we hope Illinois will too.

Voter turnout is higher in Minnesota and Wisconsin than in other midwestern states. Why? Because these states allow voters to register on Election Day. Here, Illinois closes registration 28 days before the election. We are actively working to shorten the period when it is illegal to register to vote – with a goal of same-day registration.

In July of 2003, the Midwest Democracy Center celebrated our biggest victory to date – Governor Balgojevich signed House Bill 138, which permits counties to provide cumulative voting rights in multi-member districts! We were able to win this victory though the hard work or our staff and our general membership. Midwest Democracy Center staff members spoke to civic groups and individual voters throughout Illinois. Our members wrote letters to their elected representatives and newspapers in support of this election reform. Finally and most importantly, our staff took our cause directly to Springfield where we lobbied the General Assembly and worked with our sponsors Representative Jack Franks and Senator Terry Link.

We are currently working on a variety of election reform issues:

- Moving the voter registration deadline from 28 days before an election to 14 days. In the last legislative session in Springfield, both the State Assembly and the State Senate passed bills (SB 2133) to make this change. Unfortunately, they did not have enough time to reconcile the two versions of the bill. We hope to get this legislation on the Governor’s desk in the next months.

- Urging county governments to provide cumulative voting rights (building off our successful work passing HB 138 in 2003). Mary Schumann has testified before our top targeted county governments – Macon, Tazewell and Henry Counties.

- Instant runoff voting for overseas voters, primaries and general elections

- Cumulative voting for the House of Representatives. We are working to get a state constitutional amendment (HJRCA 4) passed that put the question on the ballot.

We need your help to make these reforms a reality! Please become a member of the Midwest Democracy Center. Your donation will help to pay for the public education and lobbying efforts needed for these reforms. In addition, we would like to count on you as someone who will help to lobby your state and local representatives to support the bills needed to make these changes. Please fill out the enclosed form, and join our struggle for a better democracy in Illinois and the entire Midwest. Please also sign up for our listservs at our website at www.midwestdemocracy.org

Please join us! Your support will help strengthen democracy in Illinois! Especially as we prepare for the 2005 General Assembly session, this is the time to invest in a better democracy.

Sincerely,

Dan Johnson-Weinberger
Midwest Democracy Center Director
--------

MIDWEST DEMOCRACY CENTER MEMBERSHIP FORM

Yes! I wish to join the Midwest Democracy Center and help strengthen our election systems!

____ I am including donation of $35__ $50__ $75__ $100__ $250__ $ other_____ ____ Sign me up for a e-mail list: __News (low traffic) __Instant runoff voting __Cumulative voting
____  Let me know about opportunities to lobby my elected representatives
____ Let me know about Midwest Democracy Center lobbying days in Springfield Please make your check payable to the Midwest Democracy Center and mail to: 1310 Greenridge Dr., Urbana, IL 61802 Note: Because the Midwest Democracy Center lobbies elected officials in person, donations are not tax deductible.

intrn0904