Downstate membership meeting 5/19 at 7 pm

Dan Johnson-Weinberger instantrunoff at yahoo.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 20:25:42 -0000

Abbreviated e-newsletter from the Midwest Democracy Center
(www.midwestdemocracy.org)

This Wednesday the Midwest Democracy Center will be holding our
Downstate membership meeting and lobby day in Springfield.

We'll meet at 7 pm at the Heartland Peace Center (830 S. College) in
Springfield, and lobby Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning for
support for cumulative voting rights and instant runoff voting.

Our biggest push is to include the language from HB 4139 that would
permit election authorities to send overseas absentee voters a
special instant runoff voting ballot in those elections holding a
runoff in 2005.

This legislation would make it easier for overseas voters, especially
servicemen and women on active duty, to participate in the 2005
elections.

It would also start getting election authorities more comfortable
with ranked ballots.

Please contact Dan Johnson-Weinberger at 312.587.7060 to RSVP for the
membership meeting, or just show up Wednesday evening.

In other news, our new Field Organizer Mary Schumann has been busy
following up on the passage of HB 138 by contacting county board
members across the state and telling them about the ability to give
cumulative voting rights in county elections.

If you are interested in securing cumulative voting rights in your
county elections, please contact Mary for a factsheet at 773.791.2015.