New IL law on cumulative voting rights; IL House amendment filed

Dan Johnson-Weinberger midwestdemocracy at yahoo.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:51:28 -0000

The Midwest Democracy Center is a non-profit, membership advocacy
group that works to make our governments more democratic and
representative. We partner with the D.C.-based Center for Voting and
Democracy (www.fairvote.org). Our staffer is Dan Johnson-Weinberger
(djw@fairvote.org).

Our main goal is to revive cumulative voting for the Illinois House
of Representatives (used from 1870 ? 1980) so that political
minorities will have some voice. Electing three people from one big
district instead of three people each from their own smaller district
ensures that all voters have someone who speaks for them. That's real
representation.

Our other main goal is to use Irish-style voting for single-winner
elections (like governor and mayor), especially in primary elections
to ensure the majority of voters gets to pick the winner in one
election and voters get a first-choice and second-choice.

Our website is www.midwestdemocracy.org and our telephone number is
312.587.7060. We encourage your participation!

NEW LAW LETS COUNTY BOARDS GIVE CUMULATIVE VOTING RIGHTS;
OPENS UP ONE-PARTY SYSTEMS IN COUNTIES TO MORE VOICES

We did it!

The Governor signed HB 138 into law (Public Act 93-0308), giving
county boards the ability to give cumulative voting rights in county
elections. This lets voters cast all two or three of their votes in a
two-seat or three-seat election for one candidate. And that gives the
political minority a fighting chance to elect someone, even if the
majority of people in an area vote the other way.

The new law also authorizes residents to put an advisory question on
the ballot about the way the county board is elected -- another
victory for democracy.

Special thanks go to State Representative Jack Franks (D-Woodstock)
who pushed this bill through the House. State Senator Terry Link (D-
Highwood) also deserves thanks for pushing the bill through the State
Senate.

The other co-sponsors to the legislation also deserve thanks and
congratulations; they are:
Representative Paul Froehlich (R-Schaumburg)
Representative Karen May (D-Highland Park)
Senator Rick Winkel (R-Champaign)
Senator Larry Walsh (D-Joliet)
Senator Denny Jacobs (D-Moline)

If your county board uses districts that elect more than one person
at a time, you now have the ability to get cumulative voting rights
in your county elections. Please contact Dan Johnson-Weinberger at
the Midwest Democracy Center at midwestdemocracy@yahoo.com if you'd
like some help in lobbying your county board for the right to cast
all your votes any way you see fit.

Too many counties are one-party systems where every single board
member is from the same party. This new law lets us change that.

To see some of the press generated from the new law, please visit
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/drive2revive

CUMULATIVE VOTING FOR IL HOUSE INTRODUCED THIS MONTH

The drive to revive cumulative voting and two-party representation
for every Illinois voter reached another milestone this month as
bipartisan legislation was introduced to put the question on the
November 2004 ballot: "Should the Illinois House of Representatives
return to three-seat districts, with cumulative voting rights?"

Representative Paul Froehlich (R-Schaumburg) and Representative
Wyvetter Younge (D-East St. Louis) teamed up to introduce HJRCA 22, a
constitutional amendment to bring back three-seat districts and two-
party representation for every voter.

We're planning to earn more co-sponsors to this amendment over the
next few months (especially this week during veto session), so please
contact your state representative and ask him or her to join the
legislation as a co-sponsor.

LOBBY DAY THIS THURSDAY FOR INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING

The Illinois General Assembly is in session this week for three days.
On the last day of session (Thursday), we're having a lobby day for
advocates of instant runoff voting to come to the Capitol and talk to
legislators about Irish-style voting. If interested, come on by, or
get details at
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/instantrunoffIL

EASIER VOTER REGISTRATION EFFORT MOVING FORWARD

The deadline to register to vote in Illinois is 28 days before the
election. Hundreds of thousands of people would *like* to vote every
election, but because they didn't register at their current address a
month before the election, it is illegal for them to vote.

Representative Robin Kelly (D-Hazel Crest) is working to improve
that. Her bill, HB 3812, would follow the Washington State system of
allowing a grace period of two weeks after the 28-day deadline for
people to register to vote if they do so in the office of the
election administrator.

It is a compromise bill to meet the concerns of the election
administrators who felt they couldn't meet an Iowa-style deadline of
accepting all voter registrations (motor-voter, through deputy
registrars, whatever) 15 days before the election, and still prepare
for election day. The grace period only applies in the office of the
election administrator, where quality control is highest.

We plan to work very hard to pass HB 3812 next session and would
welcome your support on the bill as well -- please contact your state
legislators and your election administrators (usually the county
clerk) to ask them if they support a grace period of two weeks after
the 28-day deadline for people to register to vote in the office of
the election administrator.

(And let us know what they say!)

HELP US RAISE MONEY IF YOU ARE A WORKING ASSETS CUSTOMER

You can help keep our doors open with a click of the mouse,
especially if you are already a customer of Working Assets long
distance telephone service.

Our partner organization, the Center for Voting and Democracy, is one
of fifty national groups chosen by Working Assets for funding support
in 2003. The customers of Working Assets decide how much each group
gets by voting. These votes do make a big difference (the range is
from $35,000 to a high of $150,000), and we can really use the help
to expand on our successes in Illinois.

The Center has a webpage that explains the process in more detail and
shows you how to vote if you a Working Assets customer. Please check
it out:

http://fairvote.org/op_eds/workingassets.htm

NEW BOARD NEEDED -- PLEASE CONSIDER PARTICIPATING!

Lots of our Board members have moved away this year -- Fred Nelson
moved to D.C. to work as a bodyguard for Colin Powell (no joke), Amy
Connolly moved to Santa Monica as a physicist for UCLA and Kevin
O'Malley had a baby (his wife Jen did, but you know what I mean). So
we have some opportunities for leadership with the Midwest Democracy
Center! If you're intersted, please email Dan at
midwestdemocracy@yahoo.com to get involved. Meetings are infrequent
and email conferencing is often relied on, so you don't have to live
in or near Chicago to partipate.

BIG CONFERENCE ON DEMOCRACY IN DC THIS WEEKEND

There's a huge conference in D.C. this weekend, organized in part by
the Center for Voting and Democracy. Details are available at
www.democracyusa.org and there will be workshops about our successes
in Illinois. Come on out if you can.

Thanks for reading -- feel free to forward or post this newsletter.
Dan Johnson-Weinberger
Midwest Democracy Center
325 West Huron #304
Chicago, IL 60610