Progress in Springfield -- advisory referenda win as well

Dan Johnson-Weinberger <midwestdemocracy@yahoo.com> midwestdemocracy at yahoo.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 03:35:43 -0000

FIRST LEGISLATIVE SUCCESS FOR CUMULATIVE VOTING IN DECADES AND
BALLOT WIN FOR "DRIVE TO REVIVE" IN CHICAGO PRECINCT ELECTION

We've had two significant wins this month.

First, we are making real progress in the Illinois General Assembly.
Earlier this month, a bill to let county boards grant cumulative
voting rights in county elections passed the House 73-40 (5 not
voting). Introduced by Jack Franks (D-Woodstock), HB 138 now moves on
the state Senate, where Terry Link (D-Highwood) has agreed to pick it
up.

The 40 opposition votes came mostly from Republicans, who fear that
using cumulative voting in county board elections will lead to the
representation of Democrats on the DuPage and McHenry County Boards.
Well, they're right. Even though Democrat Jesse White won both of
those counties, not a single Democrat is serving on either county
board. That's just not fair, and cumulative voting will result in
bipartisan representation, so the many Democrats in both counties can
have their voice heard on the county board.

Second, thanks to the efforts of Mike Leszkai, in yesterday's
municipal elections there was an advisory vote in Ward's 47 Precinct
28 on whether Illinois should use cumulative voting in three-member
districts in the state House. An overwhelming 178 of the 222 voters
gave a big thumbs up. That's 80% voting yes!!!

Back in Springfield, to build support for a return to cumulative
voting in the state House of Representatives and to boost democracy
in local government, we're working to allow local governments in the
state to use cumulative voting. If school boards, city councils and
county boards in the state join Peoria in using cumulative voting, we
think it will make a return to cumulative voting for the state House
more likely.

In addition to the couny board bill, two other worthy bills regarding
cumulative voting rights have been introduced:

? Senator Miguel Del Valle (D-Chicago), Chair of the Senate Education
Committee, has introduced SB 1371 to allow school districts to grant
cumulative voting rights.

? House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago) has
introduced HB 2544, which would allow villages and towns the same
right as cities to use cumulative voting in three-member districts,
called the "minority representation plan" in the state code.

Later this spring, we anticipate the introduction of a state
constitutional amendment that would implement three-member districts
for the state House, elected by cumulative voting. We hope to make a
bit of a press splash with legislators from both houses calling for
this forward-looking reform.

I maintain an apartment in Springfield at 404 West Capitol (just West
of the Stratton Office Building). If you are ever interested in
coming to Springfield to help me lobby, please let me know. I can be
reached at 312.933.4890 or djw@fairvote.org. With your ongoing help
to the drive to revive cumulative voting, we will take advantage of
opportunities with a Democratic General Assembly this year and pass
some of our bills.

INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING ALSO MOVING FORWARD

Two bills on instant runoff voting to work on:

HB 395, introduced by Mike Boland and co-sponsored by Larry McKeon,
would allow military voters in local runoff elections to use instant
runoff voting. This is in the Executive Committee.

HB 3301, introduced by Paul Froehlichs and Elaine Nekritz, would
allow cities to use instant runoff voting. This is (hopefully) going
to the Elections and Campaign Reform Committee.

Both bills will likely be heard in the respective committees in two
weeks, so take the time now to contact your state reps and ask them
to support the legislation.

These bills are especially smart this week after the ridiculous two-
cycle runoffs that will be held in four wards in Chicago and at least
five municipalities (Springfield, Chicago Heights, Normal, Elgin,
Naperville and Aurora). Why are we paying for two elections when we
can get the job done in one with instant runoff voting?

And in the 47th ward, precinct 27 in Chicago, over 75% of the voters
voted YES on an advisory referendum asking whether Chicago should use
instant runoff voting! Thanks to Mike Leszkai for making that happen!

Dan Johnson-Weinberger
Midwest Democracy Center
325 West Huron #304
Chicago, IL 60610
312.587.7060
312.933.4890 (mobile while in Springfield)