October electoral reform news

Dan Johnson-Weinberger instantrunoff at yahoo.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 04:45:39 -0000

October news on electoral reform in the Midwest
Compiled by Dan Johnson-Weinberger, djw@fairvote.org

The Midwest Democracy Center is a non-profit, membership advocacy
group that works to make our governments more democratic and
representative. Our main goal is to revive cumulative voting for the
Illinois House of Representatives (used from 1870 ? 1980) so that
political minorities will have some representation. Our other main
goals is to use instant runoff voting for single-winner elections
(like governor) in primaries and general elections to end spoiler
candidacies and ensure the majority gets to pick the winner. Our
website is www.midwestdemocracy.org and our telephone number is
312.587.7060. We encourage your participation and membership (join
online)!

The next meeting of the newly-elected Board of the Midwest Democracy
Center is this Friday, November 2nd at Leona's restaurant, 646 N.
Franklin, at 6:00 pm. All are welcome!

SENATE LEGISLATION FILED FOR CUMULATIVE VOTING

Illinois state senators Barack Obama (D-Chicago) and Tom Walsh (R-
LaGrange Park) filed legislation in the senate that would put
cumulative voting in three-member districts for the Illinois House of
Representatives on the November 2002 ballot. This is the first time
in the history of the state senate that an amendment has been
introduced calling for cumulative voting.

Identical legislation to the Obama-Walsh amendment has been
introduced in the state House. That legislation is HJRCA 4. Co-
sponsors include Democrats Sara Feigenholtz, Judy Erwin, House
Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie and Art Turner and Republicans
Terry Parke, Michael McAullife and Rick Winkel.

This is a great opportunity to call your state senator and ask
him/her to support the cumulative voting amendment. We'll get a bill
number when veto session begins next week.

We'll also be lobbying in Springfield November 13th and 14th ? join
us if you can! (If you'd like to get more involved in lobbying for
cumulative voting, reply to this email or join the cumulative voting
listserv at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/drive2revive )

U. OF ILLINOIS, URBANA-CHAMPAIGN STUDENT GOVERNMENT TO VOTE ON
PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION AND INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING

The Illinois Student Government at the University of Illinois, Urbana-
Champaign has put a referendum on the November 12-13 ballot seeking
to change its bylaws to proportional representation for the Assembly
and instant runoff voting for all single-winner offices.

Thanks to Bob Morgan, student body president, for initiative this
bylaws change. Please see www.isg.uiuc.edu for more details.

If you know any students at the Urbana campus (undergraduate or
graduate), please tell them to vote for the bylaws change. If you are
a student on campus, please vote yes and tell all your friends to do
so!

We plan to visit the campus the weekend preceding the vote (the 10th
and 11th of November) to drum up support for the referendum and meet
with East Central Illinois supporters. We'll meet for dinner with
East Central Illinois folks on Saturday, November 10th at 6:00 pm in
downtown Urbana at the Cinema Café, 120 West Main Street. Come on by!

NOVEMBER 19th CHICAGO EVENT ON DRIVE TO REVIVE

Join State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka and former Congressman Abner
Mikva for an afternoon panel on cumulative voting in downtown Chicago
Monday, November 19th. We're still firming up a location (though it
is likely to be at the University of Illinois ? Chicago campus on the
near West side). The time is 2:00 pm. For updated information, check
the Center's website at www.midwestdemocracy.org or call us at
312.587.7060.

FIVE MAYORS SIGN PRO-CUMULATIVE VOTING LETTER

Five Illinois mayors have signed a letter endorsing the drive to
revive cumulative voting; this letter will be sent to every mayor in
Illinois seeking their signature and support for a return to
representation for all in the Illinois House.

The five mayors are Rockford Mayor Doug Scott, Highland Park Mayor
Dan Pierce, Palatine Mayor Rita Mullins, Dixon Mayor Jim Burke and
Tinley Park Mayor Ed Zabrocki.

Copies of the letter can be sent to anyone that requests one. Please
contact your mayor and ask him or her to support the drive to revive
cumulative voting.

NEW BOARD ELECTED FOR MIDWEST DEMOCRACY CENTER

The first elected Board of the Midwest Democracy Center takes office
November 1st for one year terms. We used Irish-style proportional
representation for our voting system (where voters get to rank
candidates and the threshold to win one of seven seats is 1/7 of the
vote). The new Board (in alphabetical order by first name) is:

Amy Connolly
Dan Johnson-Weinberger
Fred Nelson
Hannah Podlevsky
Kevin O'Malley
Paul Bonilla
Ted Sowinski

The first meeting of the Board is this Friday at 6:00 pm at Leona's
restaurant near the Midwest Democracy Center. The address is 646
North Franklin (right off the Kennedy at the Ohio exit). All are
welcome to the dinner to get more involved in the Midwest Democracy
Center (or just have a nice dinner).

CUMULATIVE VOTING ON TELEVISION

Thanks to the hard work of MDC Marketing Director Sarah Ranjit, our
message on the shortcomings of single-member districts and the need
to represent everyone with cumulative voting will be shown on Chicago
cable channel 27 during the month of November, 24 hours a day, seven
days a week.

Channel 27 is a bulletin board channel where different non-profits
may broadcast their message in a `power-point' type of presentation.
Sarah worked to create our video presentation that can be seen on
channel 27. We also have a tape if you would like to get this four-
minute presentation on your cable access channel.

Dan Johnson-Weinberger appeared on the Chicago FOX affiliate's public
affairs program Esta Semana discussing the Edgar-Mikva report calling
for a return to cumulative voting. Thanks to John Brady for taping
the show.

Please forward this newsletter (and if you'd like to subscribe to
this monthly update, please send an email to MDCmonthly-
subscribe@yahoogroups.com ). Thank you for reading.

Midwest Democracy Center
325 West Huron #304
Chicago, IL 60610