RE: [Condorcet] Statutory Language?

Nixon, Rep. Toby Nixon.Toby at leg.wa.gov
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:09:49 -0700

The staff does have it on their work plan for this summer, so we should have a bill for next year.

My overall strategy remains the same. The major parties (R and D) are quite enamored with the Montana-style primary (open with private choice) that we have now, and it is very unlikely they will even consider a change unless forced to do so. When I-872 exhausts its appeals, it is likely that the Grange will run an initiative to eliminate party labels from the ballot entirely and make all races non-partisan. That would be the best opportunity to come forward with a Condorcet proposal and actively push it -- gives the public the ability for vote for any candidate regardless of party with no motivation for trying to vote for the weaker candidate in a different party, preserves party labels on the ballot, and saves millions of dollars in election costs. We will introduce the bill in 2007 and I will try to at least get it a hearing, but bringing it up for a vote is likely going to require a crisis.

     -- Toby